Summer Institute 2024: The James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation Summer Institute will be held in the Washington, D.C. area from June 15-July 12, 2024. Details are forthcoming and will be posted on social media and the Foundation website.
Learn and Experience in Washington, D.C.
As part of the James Madison Fellowship program, each Fellow is required to attend the four-week Summer Institute on the Constitution held in June-July in Washington, D.C. All Fellows must live on campus for the duration of the Summer Institute. Fellows may only attend the Institute after they have matriculated in an approved graduate program and commenced coursework.
The Summer Institute is a graduate course entitled, "The Foundations of American Constitutionalism." Taught by constitutional scholars, this course is a study of the principles, framing, ratification, and implementation of constitutional government in the United States.
The Summer Institute includes mandatory site visits to places associated with the Constitution, in and around Washington, D.C. These sites include Mount Vernon, Independence Hall, the Museum of the American Revolution, the National Constitution Center, the Library of Congress, the National Museum of African-American History and Culture, Arlington Cemetery, and others. Participants frequently have a private meeting with a sitting Supreme Court Justice.
One of the benefits of having a residential summer program is the opportunity James Madison Fellows will have for interaction with a wide range of individuals whose varied interests can lead to enduring friendships and professional associations. By attending the Summer Institute in Washington, D.C., Fellows will enlarge their academic and professional networks.
Expenses for the Summer Institute are paid for out of the $24,000 fellowship.
Current Summer Institute Professors
- Dr. Guy F. Burnett, James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation, American University
- Dr. Daniel Dreisbach, American University
- Dr. Terri Halperin, Independent Scholar
- Dr. Kevin Hardwick, James Madison University
- Dr. Jeffry Morrison (Director), Christopher Newport University
- Dr. Abbylin Sellers, Azusa Pacific University
Past Summer Institute Faculty
- James Banner (1993–1995), Independent Scholar
- Lance Banning (1993), University of Kentucky
- Herman Belz (1996–2012), University of Maryland
- Roger Brown (1993–1995), American University
- Susan Hansen (2008), University of Dallas
- Jerome Hanus (1998–2001), American University
- Suzette Hemberger (2001–2007), Johns Hopkins University
- Gordon Lloyd (2013), Pepperdine University
- Marion Nelson (2009–2014), Virginia Commonwealth University
- R. Kent Newmyer (1993), University of Connecticut Law School
- Whitman Ridgway (1996–2001), University of Maryland
- Sandra Van Burkleo (1993), Wayne State University
- Rosemarie Zagarri (1994–2000), George Mason University